June 13, 2006

A Biblical Critique of Debbie Maken's Book "Getting Serious about Getting Married" (part 1)

PART I: Debbie Maken's Introduction to Her Book (Disaster Ground Zero)

Getting Serious about Getting Married. This is the book that is supposed to cause a sea change in Evangelical thought about singleness and marriage. No longer are we to excuse singleness as an acceptable lifestyle for most people. On contrary, most Christians (and especially men) are supposed to heed God's call to "be fruitful and multiply."

Albert Mohler, president of Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, had the following to say about Debbie Maken's book:

"Now comes Debbie Maken with sound advice, serious thinking, and an honest approach to this question that will help all Christians think about our responsibility to get serious about getting married. This book should be a must-read for all Christian young adults--and for all who love them." (Back cover, emphasis mine)
So is this book a "must read" for "all" Christian young adults? I decided to give it a read. It soon became apparent, however, that this book is not for all Christian young adults. In actuality, the book was not meant to be for me, but to be about me ... as a man. It holds those of my demographic out as the punching bags for Mrs. Maken's intended readers. The target audience is single women, and the book is little more than a pep rally for the same. Her publisher may refer to her as an "Esther" (p. 9), but it soon becomes apparent that Mrs. Maken is an Esther without a cause.

In the introduction of her book, Mrs. Maken tells about how her life was in her early twenties:

"When I was in my early twenties, I didn't really mind being single; after all, my life was full. I had a successful career as an up-and-coming attorney. I liked my family, church, and friends. I had a nice car and an active social life. I was involved in various civic and church ministries. I had a beautiful home and was decorating it to my heart's content. As the saying goes, I was cute enough, smart enough, and--don't you know it--people liked me. The one thing I didn't have was a husband, but I considered that only a minor inconvenience that time would fix." (p. 11)
What are we to make of this quote? Here we have a young woman that is materially blessed in so many ways that very few people of either sex are. She goes on to talk about her "rotating boyfriends" who were "mostly frogs who refused to become princes" (Ibid.), so we cannot assume that she was failing to receive any attention from men. It is at this point, at the very outset of the book, that I've lost sympathy for Mrs. Maken. Her statements are very akin to what the Apostle John would describe as the "boasting" of what one "has and does" (1 John 2:16). I could frankly care less about her worldly achievements, so why does she belabor them ("I was cute enough, smart enough, ...")? Here, her narrative smacks of self-importance and detracts from the main points of her book.

She spends the rest of the Introduction bewailing her singleness that she experienced well into her late twenties (although many have been single for a lot longer than that). On page 15, she tell us that God showed her that she "was never going to get true spiritual peace about singleness" because she wasn't "called to singleness", and that "the Spirit does not give peace about something that is outside of God's calling." Perhaps the Spirit does not give peace in something outside of God's calling, but I find myself curious about Mr. Maken's statement just the same. How did Mrs. Maken arrive at her conclusion? Was it through a hunch or some form of intuition? Did she hunt for the proof-texts later on to justify a stance she already purposed in her heart to take? The reason I ask these questions is because the Bible warns against feelings and emotions being a guide in religion (Jeremiah 17:9).

Elsewhere in the Introduction, Mrs. Maken alludes to some social research that supposedly proves married people are happy, healthier, and wealthier than single people. But this ignores other research that suggests only one in four marriages are happy, and that unhappy marriages are detrimental to self-esteem and health. There is also at least one study that suggests that happily married people are not happier because they married, per se, but because happy people are already prone to matrimony. If only marriage was the panacea that some make it out to be.

At any rate, Maken adjures us: "As you read, let Scripture be your measuring stick for truth--not psychology, not culture, not what you accepted thus far, not what sounds good or catchy" (p. 16). However, I find that the exact opposite is true with Mrs. Maken's book: it relies on psychology, acceptance of cultural norms, and yes---what sounds good and catchy (especially in her characterization of single men). I've already indicated where I think Mrs. Maken's book stands in regard to a sound exegesis of the Bible; I will address this concern in the upcoming sections of my critique.

4 Comments:

Blogger Gordon Hackman said...

Hey,

Thanks so much for doing this. I would like to read Maken's book and critique it myself (I have read some sections of it) but don't feel I want to waste the valuable time on it. I'm glad someone is motivated to do it though, as I consider her book to be a detriment to the health and well being not only of Christian singles, but to a proper understanding of the nature of the church and the sort of community it should be.

I agree that her treatment of scripture is extremely weak (I read the part of her book on scripture). I would call it tendentious at best, and downright self-serving at worst.

I'll be looking forward to further posts here.

Peace,
Gordon

6/15/06, 3:44 PM  
Blogger Josh Justice said...

Anakin,

Good review so far.

Without having read this book, let me give Mrs. Maken the benefit of the doubt in the introduction. It seems possible that she may have a good motivation for describing her enviable situation in her early twenties: to highlight the value of marriage. If a person was to write about marriage who was lonely, depressed, and bored as a single person, we would question whether they were seeking fulfillment in marriage. But she may be saying that life can be great as a single - but God still didn't intend it that way. That's just speculation - can this portion be read that way, or is there reason to believe a different motivation?

I would agree that relying on emotions is dangerous. God both hardens and softens hearts, and the disobedient love evil. I would say that God's revelation in scripture is complete, and the Spirit's role is to teach and remind us of the truths of scripture. Surely Mrs. Maken would agree with that, but I would disagree with her additional emphasis on a subjective sense of peace.

Modern research isn't the only source that ranks marriage as a statistical gamble. Proverbs 12:4 says that "A wife of noble character is her husband's crown, but a disgraceful wife is like decay in his bones." I think this passage could just as easily be applied to husbands, and the bottom line is that marriage in and of itself is not necessarily experientially good or bad. But it is never neutral: it is either a tremendous blessing or an incredible burden, depending on the character of the couple. I would assume that Mrs. Maken would agree that not just any marriage is preferable to singleness - would that be correct?

You're right that it is easy to say an ideal about founding our beliefs in scripture, but harder to actually live by it. I pray that I can live up to that standard, because it's to my own loss if I don't.

7/1/06, 10:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your critique. I am now more convinced to buy this book. In fact, I'm heading to amazon right now...

7/31/06, 12:14 AM  
Blogger John 魏 明 浩 said...

Anakin,

I believe everything Debbie says about men is acurate and true. She is right about me. I know so many men who just think about what they need. Car, house, job, and spend all their time playing world of warcraft, and watching star wars movies. It is so easy to be single Christian. Does the Bible call men to do easy things? Can you point to the areas that say sit back and do nothing. Is marriage the real problem or is it the men who lack the manliness to do things that are hard to do.

10/17/06, 8:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home